Lakeshore Tennis Club Backgrounder

 

  • Regina’s Civil Service Tennis Club was founded on March 22, 1915, with members playing on four new grass tennis courts.

  • The club's primary object was "to encourage sociability and healthy exercise among government employees”.

  • Membership was restricted to employees of the government of Saskatchewan and their husbands and wives.

  • The Civil Service Club became a founding member of the Regina Tennis League in 1915.

  • At its height, the league consisted of nineteen tennis clubs in the city.

  • The Civil Services Club courts were converted to red shale, and a fifth court was added, in the 1930’s.

  • Sunday tennis was prohibited until 1938.

  • In 1952, four lighting units were installed over two courts.

  • The five courts were converted to asphalt in 1960.

  • The Regina Tennis Club folded in 1964, leaving the Civil Service Club as the last surviving member of the Regina Tennis League.

  • In 1973, the club’s name was changed to The Lakeshore Tennis Club, as a result of a name the club contest. 

  • Popularity in tennis rose dramatically in the 1970’s.  By the mid-'70s, the Lakeshore Club’s membership reached a record of 700 (with a waiting list of over 100).

  • 75th anniversary celebrations were held at the club in 1990.

  • In preparation for the 2005 Canada Summer Games, three new courts were constructed, and the lighting for the five original courts was upgraded

  • Currently, membership hovers around the 350 mark.

  • The Lakeshore Tennis Club generally hosts six tournaments each season: the Provincial Junior Open, the Provincial Open, Knights of Columbus tournament, Lakeshore Summer Classic and two Rogers Rookie tour events. 

  • The club operates singles, doubles, beginner and team tennis leagues for members.

  • Other programming includes junior development lessons, junior summer camps, tennis clinics and private lessons, and the Instant Tennis introductory program.

© 2019  Lakeshore Tennis Club

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page